Saturday, November 10, 2012

My Right, My Duty, My Privilege

     In my last post, I put up a video called "The Ballot or the Bullet" and mentioned that I was excited to vote because I can. I want to expand on that.
     In one of his most famous speeches, Malcolm X explores the state of the nation and what he believes is necessary for the Black community to do in order to move forward. If you haven't heard it, listen to it. I don't care what race or political ideology you prescribe to- every American needs to be aware of the discussion posed by Malcolm X. Too many people are familiar with what they believe was the mentality of Dr. King. When Dr. King is discussed, he is discussed within the parameters of non-violence. While non-violence was a necessary aspect of Dr. King's message, there was a much deeper struggle being addressed that is too often ignored. Think about it: if Dr. King had a non-violent perspective, there had to be an opposing perspective. Most Americans are aware of the fact that Malcolm X was the "other." However, most believe that Malcolm X prescribed to a violent ideology. This is not true. As the title of the speech suggests, Malcolm X had a number of issues he wanted to be able to address through voting; however, if his vote was not heard, Malcolm X recognized that a gun would be a bit louder. Interestingly enough, many of the problems Malcolm X addresses in 1964 are very much still problems today.
     The existence of these issues is one of many reasons I feel it is so important to vote. If I do not treat an issue as important, how can I ever expect my representation to see it as important? I can't. My responsibility to my community and the world around me is what makes voting a duty.
     My ability to vote is what makes me excited. As an African American, I did not have the right to vote until 1870. As a woman, I did not have the right to vote until 1920. As easy it is to be angry about the years of discrimination anyone who has looked like me has endured for centuries, the fact remains: I CAN VOTE. A lot of change has had to happen in this country but change is constantly occurring. I am proud of the progress of my nation and would be doing myself and many others a disservice if I did not exercise my civic right, duty and privilege to vote. 

3 comments:

  1. I am always shocked when people choose not to vote, even though they have the right to do so. Your last paragraph really hit this point for me. Also as a woman, I am well aware of the discrimination and challenges women have faced over time. I think that it is important to exercise this right that women worked so hard to secure for all women. In order to be a part of any change in this country we have to exercise our right to vote. I feel that the way our country has evolved it is one of the only ways we can actively participate and shape the future making it something very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends was a huge Romney supporter, posted statuses daily, helped out with the campaign and had that infamous Romney/Ryan sticker on her car. Which is why I was shocked when election day came around and she was not voting. She had not signed up for an absentee ballot so she wouldv'e had to go home to vote in San Diego. I offered her a ride since I was also going home to vote and she told me she didn't really care as a Republican vote would never make a difference in California anyway. I was shocked. I think a lot of young people think this way and it often leads to a high number of non-voters. It is important to stop and remember there was a time when we did not even have this right and to exercise it. I am proud that my mother and father vote and that they taught me to do the same and I think that it is a value we can not forget when so many do not have the same option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you brought up the point of a vote not mattering. As exciting as the ability to vote we have is, our system is currently broken and more is required to fix it than people simply becoming more involved. In my post before this one, I discussed the systematic evil known as the Electoral College. This is one problem that can be fixed. However, I also think it is important for voters to remember that there is so much more on a ballot than the people running for President. So, true- in California, her vote would not have contributed to the presidential race. BUT there were so many ballot initiatives she could have voted on. Voting (though I make it sound sentimental in this post) is practical.

    ReplyDelete